The Water Futures Network is led by MSSI and facilitates research and engagement on sustainable water futures. Water is a complex social and technical problem that often requires collaboration across disciplines and sectors. The network convenes water researchers across the University of Melbourne and supports their collaborative capacity and engagement with external partners. Membership of the network includes over 50 staff and postgraduate researchers from across 8 Faculties. The initial focus is on enabling and supporting the contributions of the humanities, arts and social sciences to freshwater research.
- Strengthen relations within and between Faculties and Research Institutes on water-related research.
- Create a network of cross-disciplinary water & sustainability researchers for collaborative research grant development.
- Connect researchers at the University to external research partners (academic, industry and government).
- Provide a portal and focal point for water & sustainability practitioners, the public, and academics both at and beyond the University.
- Support research training and early career researchers at the University.
Researcher Profile: Zali Fung
Researcher Profile: Anna Kosovac
Decision-making within water governance
Researcher Profile: Erin O'Donnell
Water law and policy
Seed Funded Projects 2020
Four diverse projects that bring together interdisciplinary teams with a wide range of external partners were successful in securing MSSI seed funding in 2020.